Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Free Internet - A Blessing or a Curse?

When it comes to electronics I am normally pretty good. I am usually the one who has to fix the TV or DVD player at my parents' house when they are not working properly.

I tried to log online this morning to start working and I had no Internet. All the lights were on on the modem and router but I wasn't getting a signal. I unplugged everything and started everything again. After about an hour I finally called the phone company to see what was wrong with my DSL. I got one of those irritating messages - "Due to increased call volumes we cannot take your call at this time. Please try again or go online..." Hell, if I could go online I wouldn't be calling you!

I gathered up my computer and files and headed off to Panera. I figured the smell of bagels and free Internet would be worth more than taking the day off work and getting yelled at by my boss. At the beginning it was nice and quiet. Nobody bothered me. Then an older gentleman sat at the table diagonally from mine. I could tell he wanted to share the outlet I was using. Fine with me but please don't talk to me. Not so lucky.

The gentleman proceeded to tell me his life story - just got remarried in December to some one he dated 30 years ago and hadn't seen in 25, his son was a part time actor who was in the Bourne Ultimatum, how he only had $.26 in his bank account and his wife was going to kill him, etc. Did I ask for all this information? No. Do I care? Not really. Even with making some calls on my cell phone and trying to look really busy, he still kept talking.

I guess they are right - there is not such thing as a free lunch (or free internet)

1 comment:

Rockstar Mom said...

That happened to me and Mollie earlier this summer. My car was getting an oil change and tire rotation. We knew it would be at least an hour. So we both brought good books and settled down in the big comfy brown chairs in the corner at Starbucks. We had our fraps in hand and thought we'd pass the time with our noses in our books.

No.

Miss Chatty Cathy from "New York, originally" talked my frickin' head off the whole time. We reminded her of herself and her daughter who is now living with the no good bum ex-husband who stole her away with his lies and is soon going to be facing racketeering charges if she can just get certain individuals to return her phone calls. Then she'll get her daughter back and they will do what me and my daughter were doing.

And that would be listening to a crazy lady ramble on and on in a Starbucks when all we wanted to do was read a damn book in peace.