Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Home Sick

I recently moved from the area I grew up in my whole life to a completely new city and state.  Why?  I fell in love with a United States Army Captain and decided to take him up on his proposal for marriage.  So I packed up my car with what I could fit in it and drove from Cleveland, OH to Stafford, VA.

I am not complaining about the move.  It was a good decision for me.  If I hadn’t done it I probably would never have moved out of my parents’ house.  (Not that there is anything wrong with that but when you hit 30 it sort of cramps your style and theirs.)  I also love to go to new places and this is definitely a new place for me (along with all the military bases).  What is my problem then?  I miss out on all the fun stuff that happens back home.

For example, next week is Thanksgiving and Wednesday night is the most popular night for going out.  One of my friends who also lives out of town wanted to get a bunch of people together to go out and have a good time.  I unfortunately can’t go because it is a 7 hour drive home and we don’t know what time we are going to be able to leave Virginia.

Also, a bunch of my work friends are going out after the office closes to celebrate a co-worker getting engaged.  Guess what – I can’t make that either for the exact same reason I can’t go out with my friends (since I still work for the same company I did in Cleveland I have the same coworkers).  

My solution to this is that for Thanksgiving and Christmas we should get the whole month off.  This way everyone can be with their families and friends from their hometowns.  That isn’t asking too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Maybe I should speak to my boss about that! ;)